Monday

Fancy seeing you here!


I'm always excited to check out the Fancy Food Show when it comes to town, not only are there rows and rows of yummy little treats but you also get the chance to meet some cool people and see the interesting new products coming to the market. This year during the 55th annual show at the Javitis Center in NYC I had a wonderful and delectable experience, but like in most of my Em a la Mode adventures it started out with a minor set back, this time involving a toothpick in the toe...ouch! My friend Andriana and I arrived at the show at 11:15am, our badges around our neck, the floor-plan scoped out and our tummy's ready to taste. We started on the top floor and decided to work our way down to the lower level later in the afternoon. Not even half-way down the first row, Andriana gasped for air and immediately grabbed her big toe...she had been stabbed by a toothpick...and it was in there deep! We asked where we could find a band-aid and some disinfectant (as it was a used toothpick), the show staff directed us down to the nurses station!


Once we arrived at the station, the nurse took a look at her foot and said "Yep, it ain't a show, until someone gets a toothpick to the foot," obviously she has seen this many times before! After a few minutes of soaking her toe, the nurse bandaged her up and we were on our way.


As we "carefully" walked back on the floor...trying to avoid the toothpicks at all cost we sampled and tasted our way through the show. We tried a little bit of everything....from tangy cheeses to Bourbon Brittle to licoricy liqueurs. The shear amount of cheese purveyors alone was a surprise to me and a little nerve-wracking, as I am a cheese-aholic and I knew I was gonna get into some trouble!


My Happy Place: The Cheese Cave!

On the liquid side, I tasted some delicious wines from Austria, Italy and who would have thought...Mexico! Here is a list of my favorites in food and beverage from the show:

Weingut Norbert Bauer: Austrian Wines, we liked the Gruner Veltliner and the Zweigelt
Norbert Bauer, myself and Markus Glanz (Winemaker of Cellar 99)

Cypress Grove Chevre: Mary Keehn (Owner and Cheesemaker)
I loved the Purple Haze and Humbolt Fog Cheeses

Brix Chocolate: Chocolate and Wine...I'm a fan!

Caffo Liqueurs: We loved the Liquorice and the Limoncino

Anette's Chocolates of Napa Valley: Beer Brittle and Bourbon Brittle were great


Les Trois Petits Cochon: Amazing Truffle Mousse

Salumeria Rossi NYC: Cesare Casella's new place on the Upper West Side


After 5 hours of mulling around the Javits Center, having many valuable conversations, and trying way too many little goodies, me and gimpy decided it was time to hit the road! We thank everyone we met and hope to see them (and their products) again very soon!

Cheers,
Em

No comments:

Post a Comment