Sunday

BBQ in the City


Yesterday, on Saturday it doesn't matter Day, I wandered over to Madison Square Park to check out the 7th Annual Big Apple Barbecue Block Party! Some of the county's best Pitmasters were serving up their award-winning 'cue to us NYC foodies giving Shake Shack a run for their money. Other than straight BBQ the event also included a main stage with alternating Bluegrass performers, a Beer Garden, and small booths of goodies featuring the various sponsors.





As I fought my way through the floods of hungry people, while stopping along the way for a few free samples of Ice-Cream and Snapple Sno-Cones, I finally arrived at my destination of choice: The PIT! A few years ago, I had the pleasure of meeting the Pit's big boss Ed Mitchell at the James Beard Awards and have been dreaming about his BBQ ever since. He is very jolly man, known for cooking fantastic Eastern North Carolina-style 'cue, specializing in whole hogs. I eagerly got in the mile long line (in the rain) and began to wait for the melt in your mouth Pulled Pork sandwich he was dishing out.



Pitmaster Ed Mitchell in his overalls drinking a Bud

Waiting in the Rain


After about 25 minutes I finally had it! Not only was I excited about actually eating it, but it was also a pretty significant moment for me, as for those of you who know me well know I haven't eaten meat in over 4 months....so this little sandwich had a lot riding on it since I was about to brake my "meat free" streak. As I took my first bite, I fell in love all over again! It was perfectly tangy, salting, smokey, tender and delicious, served with a side of well seasoned slaw...YUM! It was worth the wait and indulging in a little meat (for the day). For more information on Ed, check out http://www.thepit-raleigh.com/


The Whole Hog Pulled Pork Sandwich


Happy Campers!


No comments:

Post a Comment